Meeting Room Policy
The Trustees of the Charlton Public Library welcome community use of the Library’s meeting rooms. The meeting rooms are primarily available to support Library programs and functions that further the goals of the Library. When not being used by the Library, the rooms are available to established community groups. Not-for-profit groups will be allowed to use the facilities at no charge; for-profit groups will be charged for the use of the facilities. In accordance with the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights and its interpretation pertaining to meeting rooms, the Library does not limit use of the meeting room based on the subject matter or content of the meeting or on the beliefs or affiliations of the meeting's sponsors.
Reservations for the use of Library facilities shall be made online at www.charltonlibrary.org
1. Meeting rooms are assigned in order of receipt of application. Recurring reservations for a room will be accepted for no more than a year at a time. Private events such as birthday parties, bridal showers, etc. are not permitted. Scheduling conflicts will be resolved at the discretion of the Director.
2. The person making the reservation must be 18 years of age or older, must be in attendance when the meeting room is in use, and is responsible for the conduct of the group. Children or young adult groups may use Dexter Hall, the Community Room and Study Rooms provided at least one adult (age 18+) is always present in the room. The Local History Room is not available for youth group use.
3. During regular Library operating hours, a representative from the group reserving the room must check in at the circulation desk or with a Library staff member when arriving and check out when leaving. A staff member will unlock the room for the group.
4. When meetings are scheduled to begin after or before normal Library operating hours, all participants must enter via the back, lower-level entrance and take the elevator to the appropriate floor. The front doors of the Library will remain locked. For security reasons, the custodian may lock the back, lower-level entrance 15 minutes after the scheduled start time of your event. Attendees who leave the building may not be able to get back in.
5. The Library respectfully requests cancellation be received within 48 hours of the event. There are no refunds of meeting room fees except for natural disasters or if the Library must cancel the event. Future reservations may be declined if the cancellation policy violated.
6. Groups utilizing meeting rooms may arrange for photographers and news media during their event. Photography for such events is restricted to the meeting room space reserved by the group and may not take place in other areas of the Library.
7. All persons attending a meeting in a meeting room shall comply with all requests by Library staff and, if applicable, the Charlton Police Department and Charlton Fire Department. Individuals who fail to comply will be required to leave the Library building and will be prohibited from using the meeting rooms in the future. Under no circumstances may use of the meeting rooms interfere with normal Library operations.
8. It is the responsibility of the group to return the meeting room to the condition it was in prior to the meeting; failure to do so shall render the group liable to the Board of Trustees for the cost of repair and clean up and may result in forfeiture of future bookings. Any damage to Library property resulting from a meeting shall be the responsibility of the organization using the meeting room.
9. The Charlton Public Library retains the right to cancel a reservation granted to an outside group in order to use the room for Library purposes, or due to unforeseen circumstances. Meeting rooms will not be available when the Library building is closed due to inclement weather or emergency conditions.
10. Use of the meeting room does not imply endorsement, support, or co-sponsorship by the Charlton Public Library of the activities that take place in the meeting room or of the beliefs of the group using the meeting room. Groups or individuals using the meeting room may not imply that the event or program is sponsored, co-sponsored, or endorsed by the Library in any advertising or publicity.
11. The Charlton Public Library is not responsible for equipment, supplies, materials or other items owned by a group and used by them at the Library. No storage facilities are available.
12. No posters, decoration or other items may be displayed on walls.
13. Please specify in the online form if audiovisual equipment is required. There is a $25.00 fee for use of Library audiovisual equipment.
14. Smoking is prohibited. Light refreshments are permitted provided the group cleans the area. No food is to be left on the premises. No open flame is permitted at any time.
15. If alcohol is to be served, a one-day permit must be obtained from the Charlton Board of Selectmen. A general liability policy for $1,000,000/$3,000,000, including liquor liability in the amount of $1,000,000, must be obtained. The Town of Charlton must be named as an Additional Insured. Only TIPS-trained servers may serve alcohol and only vendors may bring alcohol into the building.
16. Depending on availability, you may request to have the Library custodian set up tables and chairs prior to your meeting. Please indicate this request in the online form.
17. No admission fee may be charged, no donations solicited, and no merchandise or beverages may be sold by any group without advance permission from the Board of Library Trustees or Library Director.
Charlton Public Library Meeting Room Charges
Dexter Hall is available to for-profit groups at a rate of $100.00 per meeting (3 hours). An additional $35.00 per hour is charged for each additional hour the room is used. No more than 180 occupants are allowed in Dexter Hall.
The Community Meeting Room is available to for-profit groups at a rate of $50.00 per meeting (3 hours). An additional $20.00 per hour is charged for each additional hour the room is used. No more than 50 occupants are allowed in the Community Meeting Room.
There are no room charges for non-profit groups.
There is an audiovisual equipment set-up and use fee of $25.00 for all outside groups.
All payments must be received within 10 days from the date of reservation. The reservation will be cancelled if payment is not received within 10 days. Please make all checks payable to “Town of Charlton.”
Adopted by the Board of Library Trustees, April 19, 2007
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, February 12, 2008
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, March 18, 2010
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, July 15, 2010
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, April 28, 2011
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, November 17, 2011
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, March 19, 2015
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, October 20, 2016
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, January 18, 2018
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, August 15, 2019
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, February 20, 2020
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, April 21, 2022