Meeting Room Policy
The Trustees of the Charlton Public Library welcome community use of the library's meeting rooms. The meeting rooms are primarily available to support library programs and functions that further the goals of the library. When not being used by the library, the rooms are available to established community groups. Not-for-profit groups will be allowed to use the facilities at no charge, for-profit groups will be charged for the use of the facilities. In accordance with the American Library Association's Library Bill of Rights and its interpretation pertaining to meeting rooms, the library does not limit use of the meeting room based on the subject matter or content of the meeting or on the beliefs or affiliations of the meeting's sponsors.
Reservations for the use of library facilities shall be made online at: www.charltonlibrary.org
1. Meeting rooms are assigned in order of receipt of application; recurring reservations for a room will be accepted for no more than a year at a time. Private events such as birthday parties, bridal showers, etc. are not permitted.
2. The person making the reservation must be 21 years of age or older and be in attendance when the meeting room is in use. S/he will be responsible for the conduct of the group.
3. During regular library operating hours, a representative from the group reserving the room must sign in at the circulation desk or with a library staff member when arriving and sign out when leaving. A staff member will then unlock the room for the group and later lock up the room when the group signs out.
4. When meetings are scheduled to begin after or before normal library operating hours, all participants must enter via the back, lower level entrance and take the elevator to the appropriate floor. The front doors of the library will remain locked. For security reasons, the custodian may lock the back, lower level entrance 15 minutes after the scheduled start time of your event. If you leave the building, you will not be able to get back in.
5. The library respectfully requests cancelations are received within 48 hours of the event. There will be no refunds of meeting room fees with the exception of natural disasters and/or if the library needs to cancel your event. Future reservations may be declined if the cancelation policy is not followed.
6. Under no circumstances may use of the meeting rooms interfere with the use of the library by other patrons, the work of the library staff, or any other aspect of normal library operation.
7. Scheduling conflicts will be resolved at the Director's discretion.
8. All persons attending a meeting in a meeting room shall comply with all requests by library staff and, if applicable, the Charlton Police Department and Charlton Fire Department. Individuals who fail to comply will be required to leave the library building and will be prohibited from using the meeting rooms in the future.
9. Each group using a meeting room shall be responsible to ensure that the meeting room is
returned to the same condition as it was prior to the meeting. Failure to restore the meeting
room to such prior condition shall render the group liable to the Board of Trustees for the cost of repair and clean up and may result in forfeiture of future bookings. ANY DAMAGE TO LIBRARY PROPERTY RESULTING FROM THE MEETING WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE ORGANIZATION USING THE ROOM.
10. The Charlton Public Library retains the right to cancel a reservation granted an outside
group, but only in order to use the room for library purposes. If such a reservation is canceled, at least one month notice will be given.
11. Children or young adult groups may use Dexter Hall, the Community Room and study rooms provided one or more adults supervise the group at all times. The Local History Room is not available for youth group use.
12. Use of the meeting room does not imply endorsement, support, or co-sponsorship by the
Charlton Public Library of the activities that take place in the meeting room or of the beliefs of the group using the meeting room. Groups or individuals using the meeting room may not imply that the event or program is sponsored, co-sponsored, or endorsed by the library in any advertising or publicity.
13. If a meeting is canceled, the Library should be notified promptly. Not notifying the library could result in revocation of meeting room privileges.
14. Meeting rooms will not be available when the library building is closed due to inclement weather or emergency conditions.
15. The Charlton Public Library is not responsible for equipment, supplies, materials or other items owned by a group and used by them at the library. NO STORAGE FACILITIES ARE PROVIDED.
16. No posters, decoration or other items may be displayed on the walls without the approval of the Director.
17. Audiovisual equipment may be used. If you need to use av equipment please indicate so in the message section of the online form. Projector set up and use is an additional $25.00 per event.
18. Smoking is prohibited. Light refreshments are permitted provided the group cleans the area. No food is to be left on the premises.
19. No open flame is permitted at any time.
20. If alcohol is to be served a one-day permit must be obtained from the Charlton Board of
Selectmen; a general liability policy for $1,000,000/$3,000,000 including liquor liability in the amount of $1,000,000 must be attained and additionally, the Town must be named as an Additional Insured. Only TIPS trained servers may serve alcohol and only vendors may bring alcohol into the building.
21. Depending on availability, you may request to have the library custodian set up tables and chairs prior to your meeting.
22. No admission fee may be charged, no donations solicited, and no merchandise or beverages may be sold by any group without permission in advance from the Board of Library Trustees or Library Director.
Charlton Public Library Meeting Room Charges
Dexter Hall is available to for-profit groups at a rate of $100.00 per meeting (3 hours). An additional $35.00 per hour is charged for each additional hour the room is used. No more than 180 occupants.
The Community Meeting Room has a fee for for-profit groups of $50.00 per meeting (3 hours). An additional $20.00 is charged for each additional hour the room is used.
When a room is reserved when the library is closed and the custodian is not on duty, there will be
a $25.00 per hour fee assessed to pay a security person to monitor the building.
There are no room charges for non-profit groups however there is a projector set up and use fee for non-profits.
Projector set up and use is an additional $25.00 per event.
All payments must be received within 10 days from the date of reservation. If payment is not made within the 10 days the reservation will be canceled. Please make all checks payable to "Town of Charlton".
Adopted by the Board of Library Trustees, April 19, 2007
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, February 12, 2008
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, March 18, 2010
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, July 15, 2010
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, April 28, 2011
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, November 17, 2011
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, March 19, 2015
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, October 20, 2016
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, January 18, 2018
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, August 15, 2019
Amended by the Board of Library Trustees, February 20, 2020