CPL’s Library of Things is our evolving collection of non-traditional items available for check-out with a valid library card. This collection allows our patrons to try out new technology and activities for free! Our collection includes musical instruments, cooking appliances, sports, and WiFi hotspots. See our complete collection below. Click here to request a new "Thing" for our collection.
Guidelines for Borrowing & Use
- Place items on hold for pick-up at the circulation desk
- Items circulate for 7 days and may be renewed for an additional 7 days
- Items must be picked up and returned in person at the Charlton Public Library
- They cannot be placed in the book drop or returned to another library
Click the list below to reserve an item today!
*The Telescope was donated to the library by the Southbridge Rotary Club and is maintained by a partnership with the Aldrich Astronomical Society.
Below are the replacement costs for the Library of Things items:
Charlton Public Library of Things Lending Policy
Eligibility to borrow a Thing
- Must be 18 or older to sign this agreement to borrow an item. Limit one item per person.
- Must have a valid library card in good standing. (No fees or lost materials)
By borrowing a Thing, I agree:
- To abide by Charlton Public Library’s “Library of Things Guidelines for Borrowing and Use.”
- I agree to accept full responsibility for the item while it is checked out to me, or my child, age 17 or younger.
- I will read all instruction manuals and guides included with the borrowed item.
- I will not tamper with the borrowed item or the accessories.
- I will inform Library staff regarding any issues with the item (broken pieces, dead batteries, damage, lost pieces, etc.)
- I accept full financial liability and responsibility for the item including accessories while in my possession. I agree to pay all costs associated with damage to, loss of, or theft of, the item and accessories while it is checked out to me.
- I understand all items circulate for 1 week with 1 renewal allowed.
- I agree to return the item to the Charlton Public Library circulation desk from which it was borrowed.
- I agree that failure to comply with any of these rules and guidelines will result in the loss of my borrowing privileges.
- I understand that hotspots do not allow for international roaming.