Materials Selection Policy
The Board of Trustees of the Charlton Public Library ("Board"), recognizing the diverse nature of this community and the varied backgrounds and needs of its citizens, regardless of race, creed, or political persuasion, declares as a matter of selection policy that:
- Books and/or library material selection shall be at the discretion of the director and, under his/her direction, such members of the professional staff who are qualified by reason of education or training. Any book and/or library material so selected shall be held to be selected by the Board.
- Selection of books and/or other library material; shall be made on the basis of their value of interest, information, and enlightenment to the people of the community. Staff members may consult professional book review sources when deciding to add an item to the collection. The availability of funds may limit the range and number of materials considered for purchase. No book and/or library material shall be excluded because of the race, nationality, or the political or social views of the author.
- This Board believes that censorship is a purely individual matter and declares that while anyone is free to reject for him/herself materials of which she/he does not approve, he/she cannot exercise such censorship to restrict the freedom to read of others.
- This Board defends the principles of the American Library Association's statements of the Freedom to Read and Freedom to View, and declares that whenever censorship is involved, no book and/or library material shall be removed from the library save under the orders of a court of competent jurisdiction.
- This Board adopts the principles of the American Library Association's Library Bill of Rights, Freedom to Read statement, and Freedom to View statement all of which are made a part hereof.