How to Get a Library Card
- Visit the Circulation Desk in the Children's Room or on the Adult Level. Adults need a form of photo ID.
The first card is free to any Massachusetts resident. Replacement cards are $1.00. Use your Charlton library card at almost all libraries in Central & Western Massachusetts!
Log in to Your Library Card Account
Click on Manage Your Account in the top right corner or Login to your account here to see:
- Checked out items
- Fines owed
- Your lists
- History of checked out items
- History of holds
Tips for using your library card:
- If you have never logged into your account, your card # is your username and your PIN should be the last four digits of your phone number. You will have the option to create a new PIN under the Account Preferences -> Personal Information tabs.
Forgot Your PIN or Your PIN Isn't Working? Please call the Adult Circulation Desk at 508-248-0452 (press 1 for Adult Circ) to have a library staff member reset your PIN.
Change Your PIN: Login as usual, then click the "Account Preferences" -> "Personal Information" tabs to change your PIN immediately.
- Overdues & Fines: The Charlton Library does not charge daily overdue fines on Charlton materials. If you request books from other libraries, you are subject to their fines.
- Lost or Damaged Items: Items over 28 days late will be marked as LOST in the system and automatically billed. Bills for materials will be cleared once the item is returned in good condition. If the item is lost or damaged, you must pay for a replacement. In some cases, we may allow you to purchase a replacement copy, but you must have permission first.
- We cannot refund money for an item you have lost and paid for. Lost or damaged items belonging to other libraries are subject to that library's replacement policy.
Renewals: Most items are automatically renewed once. Please call the library if you require more time with an item.
Placing Requests (Holds): You may place holds on items from other libraries: books + movies + music + audiobooks + more! (Please note that the network limits you to 20 Holds pending at one time). Contact the library if you need assistance.
- Email: the library uses your email address only to send notices to alert you: 1) when a requested item (Hold) has arrived 2) when an item will be due in 2 days 3) when an item is 2 weeks overdue. If you'd like to receive the library newsletter, we maintain a separate email list. Sign up for our newsletter here!
- Changing your Email: Log in, then click on "Update Email Info" then "Account Preferences" -> "Personal Information" tabs.
Loan periods, fines, fees
You may borrow up to 50 items at one time. Most items have a 3-week loan period, and will be automatically renewed for 3 more weeks. Other items have a 7-day loan period, and will be automatically renewed for 7 more days. Please read below for more information.
|Type of Material||Loan Period||Limit per Card|
|all items combined||50|
|Music CDs||3 weeks||20|
|Library of Things||3 weeks||1|
|Museum Pass||varies||1 per week|
Charlton Library does not charge daily fines. If you request books from other libraries, you are subject to their loan periods and fines.
You cannot place Holds or check out materials (print or digital) if your card is blocked.
Why your card may not work:
- Your card is expired. You must renew your card in person or by phone. We will check that your address, phone, and email address are correct, and then your card will be renewed for another 2 years.
- You have a library item that is more than 28 days late. You must return the item before you can use your card. If visiting the library, please bring the item(s) to the Check-Out/Circulation Desk, and we will check it in immediately.
- You owe $10 or more in fees. You must pay enough of the fees to take your balance below $10, before you can use your card. Click here to pay your fines.